Monday, April 26, 2010

Doing Big Girl Things

As usual running a month behind so I decided to do one big post though most of these pictures could be a post in themselves! Enjoy Miriam's growing up antics! Ah the microwave. She is really loving opening and closing the microwave for some reason lately. Whenever I use it she has to help also, by sitting up on one of the bar stools.
On March 6 Grandpa Delta was up and wanted to play with the grand kids so a lot of them got together at Home Depot to do the kids craft. They made a rain catcher to measure rain fall. I sent Eric off with her and enjoyed just being with Aaron for the morning. She came back with a cute apron and pin to represent the craft. Eric said she enjoyed working and did pretty good for the first time with a hammer. The rest of the family continued on for a walk on Provo trail but we had a baptism to go to.
Miriam has definitely continued her love of books though lately shes drifted to bigger books. It seems the bigger the better and they don't have to have pictures either. She looks through cook books and as shown here our Primary lesson manual. Our baby is growing up!Eric wanted to take his favorite treat with him to Front Sight for snacking so the night before he made sugar cookies. Miriam insisted that she help which I found interesting because all the other times I've made cookies she hasn't seemed to care about doing anything. Eric and I wonder all the time how she knows how to do things that we don't think she has ever done much less seen a lot of such as rolling out the dough. I apologize for the fracturedness of the video clip I cut it in half with just the most interesting parts so it would load better. She certainly looks like a master chef (though Eric was a little frustrated as he was in a hurry)! The Easter bunny brought our family some new cookie cutters we need to try out soon and it will be funner for all not being in a hurry.
March 21 I was trying to get her ready for bed when she spied this outfit in the box of clothes I was sorting through and wanted to wear it. Mind you it was bedtime so I wouldn't put it on her. She decided I don't need you and put it on herself with one little help from Daddy. This is the first time she has fully dressed herself (note the shirt sticking up on the side). For awhile now she has helped me in the dressing process she is pretty good at zippers, but she still can't figure out snaps. Also lucky for me she doesn't randomly take off clothes just when ready for baths or something like that. One morning she wanted to play in the bathtub and showed up naked in the living room. With initiative like that of course I let her play in the bath for awhile.
On March 25 for some reason she decided that all of Aaron's toys and many of hers would do better outside on the porch. Many days I don't feel like I can keep up with her. This also represents another problem we have, she can unlock the front door now. She takes the computer chair over to the door, climbs up and unlocks it. Luckily she also likes to take the lawn chair on the porch and ring the doorbell, at least I know shes around! Miriam certainly has her own agenda and what she thinks will work best.
One morning (the 29th) I was sleeping and Miriam came to check on me, I asked if she had breakfast. She said yes or something like it and I asked if she had pancakes, she enthusiastically said "pancakes" and ran off. After I managed to get up I find this in my kitchen (above). Apparently she thought we needed more pancakes so she was making them; she had poured batter (left conveniently by the stove by Eric) in the frying pan and was stirring it. Never mind without heat nothing but a mess was going to happen.
Well we got the pancakes cooked, I prepared for eating sat down to feed Aaron in the high chair. After a bite I thought I needed more syrup (which did not have the lid on as it was waiting to be cleaned). I go back to feeding Aaron then look over to my horror to see that Miriam also thought it needed more syrup and had poured at least half the bottle on the pancake! It had filled the plate overflowed to the table and was dripping on the floor! Ah independence, will we survive?!?

2 comments:

Eric J. Jones said...

It should be noted that she dressed herself with very, very little help from Daddy. I don't quite remember what I did for her, but I remember thinking that she could have done it without me-- just would have been a little frustrated doing it.

Sandi said...

Oh my, I laughed out loud, especially about the pancake-making and the syrup soup!

For your door, you might want to get a child lock that installs on the frame near the top to keep her from opening it. http://www.lowes.com/pd_77077-214-1840_0_?productId=3102565&Ntt=door%20lock&Ntk=i_products&Ns=p_product_price|1&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?rpp=30$Ntt=door%20lock$Ns=p_product_price|1$identifier=