We love to go camping and have invested quite a bit of money to have good equipment. We were looking forward to camping quite a bit this year as I wasn't pregnant like last year somehow we didn't make it out as often as we hoped. I also realized that as much as we like to camp we have never gone just our little family even before kids Eric and I hadn't ever camped by ourselves so we tried it out. On June 18 we got everything together and went up Diamond Fork Canyon.

We got a much later start than we wanted and then Eric had a hard time finding the place he had in mind so it was mostly full by the time we got there. We eventually found a little fire pit off the road behind this great big log and got started with the fire and unloading. We have started a tradition since I like the Christmas tree up for so long is gets past the time the garbage folks will haul it so we will save for camping. They make awesome large flames. As you can tell Miriam couldn't keep her eyes off it.

Our camping site. We thought the log would make a great bench but then we saw it crawling with bugs and didn't want to risk getting any ticks. I'm glad our tent is so easy to put up and down that Eric can pretty much do it himself.

Of course it was quite dark by the time the tinfoil dinners were finished cooking. We discovered another use for the railing on the truck besides a natural divider for the camping supplies- a baby gate! To keep Aaron out of the dirt and fire we let him play up in the truck. Miriam enjoyed using the cooler as her table to eat her dinner. It was still quite cold in the night and we all ended up together but at least everyone started in their own beds. The morning it was really chilly so while we waited for the fire to get going the kids and I warmed up in the truck. We discovered a great trick. Our kids are always starving first thing in the morning and we were doing potatoes, eggs, and bacon in the dutch oven so it took awhile. Meanwhile we also had sausage so we got out the roasters and cooked the sausage over the fire like a marshmallow. It kept the kids satisfied till the rest of breakfast was done. I also decided on this trip you always need hot chocolate for camping and added it to the master camp list.

After breakfast we went for a little walk. I like this picture because it makes me think of an impressionistic painting.

Then it was time to clean up, take the tent down, pack up and go home. I thought we had a pretty good time. It was nice that it only took 20 min to get home. I found myself reflecting on the ride home how much effort goes into packing and then cleaning up. It took about as much time to get ready as we were actually gone from home! Was it worth it? I guess so since we keep going. Though I think we should go on at least one camp out a year where we stay longer than one night to make it worthwhile. Also we need to develop some camping activities beside eating, cleaning and sleeping. Any ideas?
1 comments:
We always go on some sort of hike, which Annalee sleeps through in the backpack.
Post a Comment