I had decided that I would do it right when it comes to guns in our home. I researched for awhile good gun rules. I pulled out my old Hunter's Safety book, and went through that again. I spent some time searching on the internet for different ideas for marksmanship. I talked with friends (most notably Nate York, who has taught me alot over the years, then probably Ammon Tenney). While I was researching, I came across a quiz about home defense by this school called Front Sight. Well I did pretty well on the quiz (a fair amount of luck tho), and recieved some information on the school. I recieved their 'Training Reports' by e-mail-- not all at once, but about one a week, so I'd have time to digest and get my mind around one by the time the next one came. I also wouldn't burn out on the information-- it was just small principles and what they would do for you. I finally found the answer to what I considered my greatest weakness in marksmanship-- my horrible flinch, even on my light, little ruger 10/22! The answer was Dry Practice. I put it the test, and found that my flinch was slowly going away-- It still comes and goes, but it is one its way out.
So when my parents asked what I wanted as a graduation gift, I offered the idea of some training at Front Sight. My father agreed upon one condition: that I share what I learn.
Well, part of the curriculim at Front Sight is to teach you how to coach training, so I figured that was a great deal. And so with the great generosity of my parents, I signed up for a 4-day defensive handgun course with Front Sight. In my next post, I'll talk a bit more about the Front Sight experience in general, then I'll post about my particular experience.
0 comments:
Post a Comment